Wednesday, December 19

Return of 'da Kink: US debut to begin in Atlanta


The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams--Oprah Winfrey.

I come from a tribe of womyn who have often packed up their bags to cross oceans, and borders to seek something better. Choosing to leave all that is familiar  in order to just answer something deep within themselves. My grandmother left Jamaica and spent nearly eighteen days on a ship to go to England to look for something better. My mother left England, and then Canada, to look for something better.... 

And from each of these womyn I have learnt the lesson that it is ok to leave everything familiar in order to look for something better, if your spirit requires it and if your spirit tell you to do it....

About a year ago, Spirit told me to leave Toronto and go to Atlanta. I struggled with this decision and played it over and over in my head. I prayed on it. Talked about it, and the answer remained the same. Spirit told me to leave.  And that I must leave now!  So I listened. I was scared and I'm still scared, yet I decided to not let fear paralyze me.  

One of my biggest and brightest dream has been to produce 'da Kink in Atlanta and to tour the play across North America! And now finally the dream is coming true! 

I chose Atlanta because after doing a lot of research on black theatre and also doing a lot of research on  theatre mogul Tyler Perry---I thought if Tyler Perry chose to produce his theatrical work in Atlanta and it turned him into one of the richest men in Hollywood, why not me!!!  I also read that Tyler Perry had produced his first major work at the 14th Street Playhouse, so I thought.... well, you know the rest!
I'm proud to announce that 'da Kink will be opening in Atlanta in October 2013 at the 14th Street Playhouse!!  To go with our announcement check out our brand new fancy website  www.dakinkinmyhair.com  courtesy of Decosta Entertainment!   A big shout out to Ben and Rena at Decosta who were instrumental in producing such a fabulous website. Very proud to be a Decosta client and very excited that we are involved in producing this amazing work in Atlanta! 

So folks spread the word, call up all your family and friends in the South to let them know! Or  better yet, my Toronto peeps get a plane ticket and come out to see it!!!  Yes hotlanta just got hotter and kinkier!!!  

We hope to be adding more dates and cities to the Atlanta tour so keep posted!

Thank you for your continued love and support! Please tweet our new website and facebook it to your friends for me. www.dakinkinmyhair.com

much love
trey xoxo

No comments: