Monday, July 16

TEDTalks - Touré Aalks About Dealing With Racial Slights

I love watching TEDTalks.  They can be so inspiring, uplifting, informative, funny....you name it!

If you've never heard about TEDTalks, they are a series of conferences delivered by people from round the world, on various subjects.  TED (Technology Entertainment and Design) was formed to dissect "ideas worth spreading."  It started in California, where the main conference is still held,  but now many major cities host their own TEDx Talks locally.  There's even a TEDWomen and TEDMED (that focusses on health and medicine.)

And for those who don't know, here's my TEDxToronto talk:



What I like about TedTalks is that you get a chance to hear from speakers who have wonderful ideas, and are very passionate about their platform.

I stumbled on this audition from Touré (writer and TV personality) for TED2013: The Young. The Wise. The Undiscovered.  He was speaking on how to deal with racial slights.  (I'll let you watch the video below to fully grasp his concept)

We've all come across our share of racial slights in our lives and it's how we deal with them that dictates our character.

My favorite part of his audition was when he said: "Look for existence proof role models: people went before us, who succeeded. So you're not dealing with the entire race on your shoulders as you try to get through something."




Also, if you have a chance, go through some of the TED and TEDx talks that are available on YouTube.  I guarantee you'll find something you'll enjoy!

Who knows, maybe this will inspire some of you to speak at a TEDx event near you!



2 comments:

NuBeing - BWAC said...

Trey! Your TedTalk was really REALLY good! I love TED and watch the talks a lot. It was amazing to not only see someone who I know but to learn something new, and be MOVED and INSPIRED by someone that I know. It was really amazing to take this in this morning, thank for your sharing.

Ann Clarke said...

I really enjoyed both TED talks posted. You really have a knack for drawing the listener in!
Can you imagine that, in 2012, we still have to build up an internal shield!